Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Granogue, Day 1 Masters 45+

Another great day in the Mid Atlantic. Breezy, clear, temps climbing into the low 60's. And WTF?? No mud? Granogue and no mud??
I got a nice warm up but pushed my time too much; ended up getting to the start too late and was in the last friggin row. Ugghh. 60+ riders went off; I gained a few places up the paved uphill start, into some twisties in the woods. This is a section that rewards bike handling. Thanks to a good choice of tires, I was able to corner really well. However, there was 1 180 around a tree that had sand on the outside line; definately the wrong line to take. Up a steep run up, and up through some paved/gravel climbing, onto some off camber long sweepers that you could carry a decent amount of speed through if you took the right line. I found myself battling with 2 of my cross-results nemesis. I'd pass Louis on the climbs and he'd gain time on the run up on the back side of the course; I can't run for sh*t this year. Gustavo managed to just stay ahead of both of us. I THOUGHT I passed Louis for good with about 2 laps to go when I did a bone-headed move and took the wide line in the sand on that aforementioned 180. I was able to get around him again but wound up finishing right behind him and Gustavo. They have our results effed up so i really don't know exactly where I placed; they have me DFL but I know that I wasn't. Anyway, this is probably the best course in the Mid Atlantic. And there was beer and BBQ at the end

No comments:

Post a Comment