Sunday, October 2, 2011

BCA Challenge in Fort Ritchie, MD

 I did BCA challenge at Fort Ritchie MD. Right over the PA/MD border. October came in with a bang; 48f when I arrived, drizzle, and plenty of mud. WTF was I thinking for buying file treads this year?? But I digress...
Anyway, it's a small race and I had heard that the course tended to be not very "creative". Well, due to conditions, it was a tough slog. A paved start into some long grass and packed dirt; a bit of mud but very rideable. Up a small incline, over 2 barriers placed on either side of a tree (ala "the tree" @ Charm City) and over to a pretty technical "S" turn on the side of a hill. I ran it the 1st time through (due to congestion-picked up some places by doing so) and rode it afterward. Some more grass and then a paved section over to a decent climb and then a steep drop down, U turn, and back up. Had to run up that. Wished I had put my cleats in my shoes. Back down and then off to a really hard mudddy section of the course. Had it been dry it would have been fast but as it was there were long sections where running was the best option. Another small "S" turn on a hill that was easier/faster to run and a small run up and back down through some twisties and the start line. We did 4 laps in the Masters 3/4. I felt decent but I am not a mudder, although I must say that my new BMC is much better handling than my Empella was; I was able to take lines and pass through slop that others were having more trouble in. Had 3 guys in front of me for a good deal of the race. Caught 2 with about 2 laps to go but couldn't get the 3rd guy. I really don't know where I placed but it was a decent race. But some sun would be appreciated. Soon. That, and I need to get my rear Rhino repaired because having 1 up front ROCKED. My Fango rear did OK but I'm thinking with the Rhino I could have rode some stuff I had to run through.

No comments:

Post a Comment